Lawn alternatives can be beautiful and are great for wildlife. Break out the hammock and replace that lawnmower! But not right away...
Lawns and Alternatives
- Lawns Part I: The Undeclared War - The Chemical Battle
- Lawns Part II: Organic Lawn Care and the Climax Lawn - Splendor in the Grass
- Lawns Part III: Lawn Alternatives in Shade
- Lawns Part IV: Lawn Alternatives - Groundcovers for Wet Sites
- Lawns Part V: Lawn Alternatives - Groundcovers for Sun
- Lawns Part VI: The Wildflower Meadow - An Exuberant Hats-off to the American Prairie
- Lawns Part VII: In Humus Veritas - In Soil There is Truth
This series which appeared in the Villager Newspapers column, The Potting Shed, is chockful of information for the home owner. In a 7-part expose we examine lawns and how to make them more sustainable. We examine sun versus shade. And we look at a number of beautiful low maintenance alternatives to high maintenance lawns. If you read this in winter by the end of the series you'll swear that you are detecting the sweet fragrance of freshly cut hay!